Devon Show Secretary Ollie Allen retires after the 2018 Show
Statement from Mrs Mary Quicke MBE, Chairman of the Devon County Agricultural Association:
"It is with a mixture of sadness and gratitude that the Devon County Agricultural Association announced today (Friday, January 26) Ollie Allen’s decision to retire as Secretary of the Devon County Show, effective on August 31, 2018.
Ollie joined the organisation in 1996 and has played a central role in its evolution and success ever since and, while we will miss her inspiring leadership, we wish to thank her for the last 21 years at the helm of the Devon County Show and wish her the best of luck in the future.
We wish to thank her for her dedication to the role which involved many significant innovations and accomplishments including:
- Ensuring the Show is first and foremost an agricultural show through a strong livestock section and by encouraging agricultural companies to attend
- Enabling the Show to play a significant part in the food revolution in Devon which has transformed the quality and variety of locally-produced food and drink over the past 25 years or so
- Leading a team of nearly 400 volunteer Show stewards who received the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service last year
- Serving as Chairman of the ASAO (Association of Show and Agricultural Organisations) and being a Council member for 14 years
- Arranging spectacular main ring attractions including The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery and coaches from the Royal Mews
- Welcoming many royal visitors to the Devon County Show including The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall and, most recently, HRH The Countess of Wessex
- Staging a food and drink-focused Show in 2001, during the period of foot and mouth disease, in support of those working in agriculture and the food and drink sector in rural Devon
- Leaving as her legacy a Show which combines the county’s rural heritage with a focus on the future with an event which appeals to every strand of the Devon community
Again, we thank Ollie for the dedication, passion and enthusiasm that she has given the Devon County Show over the past 21 years. But, before she leaves, we look forward to our 123rd Devon County Show and her 22nd Show on May 17, 18 and 19!
For further information:
Anne Ashford, PR & Marketing: 01823 490965/07971 275840