HRH The Countess of Wessex returns to Devon County Showground
HRH The Countess of Wessex made her final visit as President of the Devon County Agricultural Association (DCAA) to Westpoint, Exeter on Friday (January 19, 2018).
Over the past 12 months HRH has visited the showground five times to show her support for Devon’s agricultural and rural community.
The Countess spent two days at the 2017 Devon County Show where she met farmers, school children, farming organisations and food and drink producers. Also she attended the Stockmans' Supper, a ‘thank you’ from the Show to exhibitors and livestock competitors.
In addition, The Countess has attended two DCAA annual meetings; at the first in January last year she received the Presidential chain of office and on Friday (January 19, 2018) handed it on to the new President, Edward Darke.
At the meeting, HRH said: “It has been a wonderful privilege and an honour to serve you this last year and I have really, really enjoyed it.”
‘Standout moments’ included driving a mini-digger simulator and viewing the 30,000 handmade poppies created in memory to those who lost their lives in the First World War.
“For me, the best part, is the livestock and it was heartening to see so many entries from all over the county and further afield who showcased their animals and competed for the wonderfully coveted prizes.
“It was my honour and privilege to go round and meet a lot of those competing for those prizes and to see them and their animals.”
In the autumn The Countess visited Agrifest South West, which showcases high quality beef and sheep farming in the South West.
Throughout the year HRH championed the Show’s Next Generation group set up to bring new people into stewardship roles.
Ollie Allen, Secretary of the Devon County Show said it had been a delight to work with The Countess over the past 12 months and to introduce her to some of the very many people involved in rural life in Devon.
“It has been an absolute joy to work with Her Royal Highness over the past year. She has, of course, brought great honour and distinction to the Devon County Show by being our President.
“But, beyond that, she has taken an interest in what we do and the rural causes that we stand for which has gone far beyond the call of duty. As President of the Association of Show and Agricultural Organisations, she had already proved herself to be a champion of Britain’s great heritage of agricultural shows. As President of the Devon County Agricultural Association, she has been an inspiration for the future of our Devon County Show.”
Notes to editors:
- The Devon County is one of the South West's most iconic and enduring annual events attracting up to 95,000 people.
- The 2018 Show is the 123rd – the first was held in 1872
- The 2018 Devon County Show will be held on May 17, 18 and 19.
- The Show Secretary is Ollie Allen.
- The 2018 President is Edward Darke.
- The Show is an impressive rural show window showcasing award-winning livestock, the finest food and drink and rural living at its most vibrant
- The County Show is the flagship event of the Devon County Agricultural Association (DCAA), which has played a leading role in the development of agriculture, education and the rural economy in Devon since its formation in 1872.